Sunday, May 20, 2012

Book Review: The Post-Birthday World by Lionel Shriver

Hi guys,

Time for another book review. :)

This has been hanging there for a while now, due to my mountain of school work. I'm sorry about that.

Anyways, the book I wanna talk about today is called The Post-Birthday World and it's written by Lionel Shriver, who's also written the novel We Need to Talk About Kevin (which I haven't read yet, but sure will). I truly admire her style of writing, even though for me, it's pretty hard to absorb everything as the English used in the novel is a bit more complicated than what I've used to.

I mean, look at the other reviews, you'll get the point. :D

The Post-Birthday World tells the story of Irina, a woman who's in a long-term relationship with a stable, trustworthy man, Lawrence. Lawrence has Ramsey Acton, the famous snooker player as his close friend. The three of them have a tradition of celebrating Ramsey's birthdays together, but then one year, Lawrence has a work trip he can't cancel. So, Irina is forced to spend the evening alone with Ramsey, and that evening determines a lot in Irina's life. Should she stay with Lawrence, or go with Ramsey?

That's the part when the book splits in two stories, each one telling about Irina's life with a different man. I love how the both stories are so different, yet so similar, and in some ways totally entwined. That's amazing writing, I  can tell you. It kind of shows how in life, every choice brings you something good, but also, something not-so-good. It's a fresh way to write a story - in my opinion - because we always wonder how things would've gone, had we chosen differently.

I strongly recommend reading this book, if you like a good book with a little more insightful writing with a grown-up touch. I was pretty surprised how much I loved the book, considering that English isn't my native language, and the book has pretty big words in it and also, because it's clearly written for more grown-up readers than I am. Nevertheless, I got a lot out of the book, and I'm sure you would too.

So, go on, read it! ;)

My next review will be L.A. Candy by Lauren Conrad, stay tuned! ♥


xoxo 


Johanna

12 comments:

  1. Hi, Joana!
    You are very great reader !!
    I want to try the book !

    akiko
    http://kimonosnack.blogspot.jp/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Akiko! There's a couple of more reviews I should post here as soon as I have the time to write them with some thought. ;)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love that you have a reading blog. I am going to do a book post tomorrow! Would you like to follow eachother?

    xo Andrea
    http://uskar-vor-inspire.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. toller post und ein wunderschöner blog<3
    yeah! ich bin dein zweites mitglied;)
    würden uns freuen wenn du uns auch folgst:)
    liebste grüße aus deutschland<3
    xoxo
    www.catwalk-johnny.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post! I am following you now dear. Follow me back please? ♥
    I am inviting you to my blog! Thanks!


    http://blowarainbow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. great blog dear. do you want follow each other?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI...NICE BLOG..BLOGWALKING FROM MALAYSIA..http://adf.ly/9wzqt

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely blog.
    http://xtheperfectmess.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  8. love this post,follow you,hope you can follow me back :D

    http://fashionandthecity-ilda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice blog!
    xo
    MOSAMUSE

    www.MOSAMUSE.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, love your blog, it's really good :) would you like to follow each other? www.cositsthebeesknees.blogspot.co.uk xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment for me. I always read every single one of them, and appreciate all them equally, even though I might not answer to every one individually. :) Your lovely comments always make my day, and I love to hear what you're thinking. I try to have the time to check out your blogs, and maybe comment back. :)

You can comment in following languages (as these are the ones I understand):
English, Swedish, Finnish, Spanish, German

xoxo ♥